Current job openings
- Kernel, Android and embedded Linux engineers (2013/2014)
Free Electrons is looking for experienced contributors to the Free Software community to satisfy increasing demand for development, consulting and training on embedded Linux, Android and on the Linux kernel.
Our positions can either be:
- At one of our offices (Toulouse and Avignon, France), with a French permanent contract.
- Home based in France, with a French permanent contract.
- Home based in Euro countries. You would either be hired through an umbrella company in your country or as a full time contractor.
Here are the main assignments you will be given:
- Developing Linux board support packages and kernel device drivers, together with the mainline Linux community. Merging code upstream is a priority for us, whenever possible, and mainlining projects represent the biggest part of our development activity.
- Developing and integrating embedded Linux systems.
- Developing embedded systems with Android, and porting Android to new hardware.
- Training, consulting and support on the above topics for free Electrons customers all around the world.
We will welcome your opinions, ideas and initiatives to give better support to our customers, to develop our business and of course to develop the use of Free Software in embedded systems. You will be given challenging opportunities and responsibilities according to your expectations, experience and interests.
For French contracts:
- Contract type: permanent French contract ("CDI"), with contributions to French social security and retirement.
- Salary: according to experience
- Vacations: approximately 7 weeks per year + national holidays
- Location: in one of our offices (Toulouse or Orange), or home based. Whatever your location, because of frequent travel, living close enough to a significant airport will be an advantage.
Needed skills, experience and personality
- Experience developing embedded Linux systems using community tools.
- Familiarity with the Linux kernel. Linux device driver or core kernel development.
- Speaking in public easily, taste for training and sharing knowledge.
- Fluent in oral and written English. Speaking French is a advantage, but not mandatory. Mastering other languages is welcome!
- Experience with Android system development is an advantage, but not mandatory
- Ability to travel often (can be up to 1 week per month as a yearly average)
- Ability to conduct several projects in parallel, and quickly switch to new ones (we often have short projects that just take a few days or weeks).
- Should enjoy investigating unfamiliar topics, learning, writing documentation and sharing knowledge.
We also want to stress that we don’t only need people with technical skills, but who are also on the same wavelength as we are, with a passion for promoting Free Software and open standards, and for contributing to the community.
- Involves frequent travel to customer locations, but not for extended periods of time (usually not exceeding one week).
- Also involves traveling to international conferences. You may also prepare and give presentations in these events.
- Everything you create for Free Electrons itself will be released under a Free Software or Free Documentation license
- Travel to international conferences whenever possible: ELC, ELC Europe, kernel summit (if invited)…
- A substantial amount of your time contributing to community projects. Your job at Free Electrons will be visible from outside, and your management will incite you to contribute as much as possible.
- A significant amount of travel, for people who are interested in discovering the world, its people, and other community members in particular.
- Last but not least, the job includes a subscription to LWN.net, of course!
How to apply
Write to our jobs e-mail address, enclose a resume and let us know about your motivations and ideas for the job.
Back to our careers page.