Current job openings
Free Electrons is looking for experienced contributors to the Free Software community to satisfy increasing demand for development, consulting and training on embedded Linux, Android and on the Linux kernel.
Our positions can either be:
- At one of our offices (Toulouse and Orange, France), with a French permanent contract.
- Home based in France, with a French permanent contract.
- Home based in Euro countries. The person would be hired as full time contractor, and would be declared as an independent contractor in his own country.
Here are the main assignments you will be given:
- Developing Linux board support packages and kernel device drivers, together with the mainline Linux community. Merging code upstream is a priority for us, whenever possible.
- Developing and integrating embedded Linux systems.
- Developing embedded systems with Android, and porting Android to new hardware.
- Training, consulting and support on the above topics for free Electrons customers all around the world.
- Last but not least, as a requirement for being a valuable developer, trainer and consultant, you will have to spend a substantial amount of your time contributing to community projects used in embedded Linux systems: progress follow-up, sharing knowledge on public mailing lists, evaluating new techniques and resources, and contributing to these projects (such as writing code, reporting and investigating bugs, writing documentation and blog posts).
We will welcome your opinions, ideas and initiatives to give better support to our customers, to develop our business and of course to develop the use of Free Software in embedded systems. You will be given challenging opportunities and responsibilities according to your expectations, experience and interests.
For French contracts:
- Contract type: permanent French contract ("CDI"), with contributions to French social security and retirement.
- Salary: according to experience
- Vacations: approximately 7 weeks + national holidays
- Location: home based in France, or based in one of our offices (Toulouse or Orange). Whatever your location, because of frequent travel, living close enough to a significant airport is strongly recommended.
Needed skills, experience and personality
- Visible contributions to the user and developer community. Google will be your resume
- Experience developing embedded Linux systems using community tools.
- Familiarity with the Linux kernel. Linux device driver or core kernel development.
- Speaking in public easily, taste for training and sharing knowledge.
- Fluent in oral and written English. Fluency in French is an advantage, but not mandatory. Mastering other languages is welcome!
- Experience with Android system development is an advantage, but not mandatory
- Ability to travel often (can be up to 1 week per month as a yearly average)
- Self discipline and ability to work from home. Ability to conduct several projects in parallel, and quickly switch to new ones (we often have short projects that just take a few days or weeks).
- Should enjoy investigating unfamiliar topics, learning, writing documentation and sharing knowledge.
We also want to stress that we don’t only need people with technical skills, but who are also on the same wavelength as we are, with a passion for promoting Free Software and open standards, and for contributing to the community.
- Involves frequent travel to customer locations, but not for extended periods of time (usually not exceeding one week).
- Also involves traveling to international conferences. You may also prepare and give presentations in these events.
- Everything you create for Free Electrons itself will be released under a Free Software or Free Documentation license
- Travel to international conferences whenever possible: ELC, ELC Europe, kernel summit (if invited)…
- A substantial amount of your time contributing to community projects. Your job at Free Electrons will be visible from outside, and your management will incite you to contribute as much as possible.
- Working from home. Flexibility to organize your personal life (except during travel).
- A significant amount of travel, for people who are interested in discovering the world, its people, and other community members in particular.
- Last but not least, the job includes a subscription to LWN.net, of course!
How to apply
Write to our jobs e-mail address, enclose a resume and let us know about your motivations and ideas for the job. Please also highlight your contributions to the Free Software community.
Back to our careers page.